Another milestone for us. The website going live and now able to capture names of people interested in the idea of bringing The Business Cafe to their town
I remembering 7th February 1998 when Thomas and I conceived Ecademy in Pizza Express in Farnham. 14 amazing years of nurturing the global group of small businesses that joined and believed in the concept of ‘being a friend online’. This was 4 years before LinkedIN, 6 before faceBook and 8 before Twitter, what a big task we had on our hands then.
That 14 years taught me so much about human nature, the power of emotional wealth within people when they feel a sense of belonging and how that emotional wealth of self esteem and self worth, turned into Financial Wealth for them. I also learned the power of the local and the global. Thomas and his book ‘A friend in Every City’ inspired that thought, we had groups in 52 countries in the end, 5000 pop-up events a year, it was amazing.
We also learned to care for people that weren’t like us. A challenge when you see different behaviours and motives. But we saw that it takes a huge variety of people to create a dynamic community.
We knew then as we do now, that so long as the values of all community members remain the same, one of supporting, of being a friend and of sharing knowledge and connections then we could create something special.
So where is The Business Cafe now in its journey?
- We have this website.
- We have a vibrant FaceBook Group in Farnham with 294 members
- We have events happening each month in Farnham thanks to our members offering a venue, cookery classes and thanks to Holly Wilson, Our Community Manager being so inspirational
- We have a Digital Skills program running through Surrey County Council and Government Equalities Office, called Surrey WISE. The Business Cafe is Project Leading this and helping 100 Surrey Ladies start a business thanks to new Digital Skills.
- We are working with Farnham College to support their BTEC Media Students and look forward to employing some of them when the Cafe opens and we need to hire skills.
- We have a great team Holly Wilson, Hannah Power and my Business Partner Gail Thomas.
- We have two excellent Non Executive Directors
- We are building our Business Plan for investment so we can start two Cafe’s this year. one in Peterborough (where Gail lives) and one in Farnham (where I live)
- We also have The Business Cafe International on FaceBook for anyone outside of the Farnham or Peterborough areas to join so we can keep them up to date
- You can also give us your name and email on this site if you would like to be kept informed via a Newsletter
So, a small team, a BIG idea that helps so many people across the local communities and places BUSINESS at the heart of the local conversation
Thank you to all of you that asked for this update. I am holding an event on 11th March at The Maltings in Farnham for local members and potential investors to come and find out more.
Apart from that I will blog regularly and if you could see me now, I have the biggest smile on my face, this is what I am born to do, finally my dots of Ecademy and Digital Youth Academy have joined up.